Deadline for applications: Wednesday 23rd May at 5pm
Interviews: w/c 28th May
Start date: ASAP, no later than 11th June
Experienced in using tools and appliances and happy to get to know more? You know your SDS drills from your combi drills, your steam cleaners from your carpet cleaners
Personable and patient: Able to train, guide and work collaboratively with a mix of people?
A proactive problem solver: Use your initiative to suggest new Things, parts or systems to improve the Library of Things offer?
Entrepreneurial: You’re confident in working to a budget, and have a good nose for a bargain?
Happy to roll up your sleeves: You’re up for pitching in to clean Things, tag Things, package Things, PAT test Things (training provided)?
Flexible in terms of time: Working on a part-time basis or freelance basis?
Passionate about getting communities borrowing and repairing useful Things?
About Library of Things
Library of Things is a social enterprise on a mission to make borrowing better than buying. To do that, we create treasure boxes of useful and joyful Things in community spaces like libraries, housing estates, cafes or workspaces. There, you can
- Borrow Things like drills, steam cleaners, strimmers, gazebos & GoPros at affordable prices
- Join practical events like DIY classes & Mending Meet-ups
- Volunteer & get to know your neighbours: organise events, fix Things & spread the word
We’re looking for a practical all-rounder who wants to get to know our 50 Things inside-out. You’ll be working in a fun-loving, supportive culture with a small leadership team and volunteers in multiple local communities.
About the job
Time input: between 3-5 days per month for the first 3 months, with an aspiration to increase this in line with Library of Things budget and workload. Best for someone working part-time or on a freelance basis (we can support you to get started as a freelancer if needed)
Flexibility: Some flexibility of working hours (might include some weekend and/or evenings)
Location: Starting in Crystal Palace in South London, moving to other London sites as Library of Things grows
Remuneration: £150 per day
Contract: Ongoing monthly freelance contract, payment on invoice
Personal development: 1:1 training and support from Design & Technology Director, plus hands-on training opportunities through suppliers eg. Bosch and Karcher
Eligibility: Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK
What you’ll be doing
You’ll be responsible for knowing all 50 of our Things inside out and working with suppliers and volunteer Thing Fixers to make sure Things are available, safe, reliable and enjoyable for borrowers. Success looks like happy, informed borrowers and volunteers – it's about far more than sales targets.
Day-to-day, this involves:
Procuring high quality stock
- Holding relationships with key stock suppliers, such as Bosch and Karcher
- Purchasing stock for new Library of Things sites, and replacement stock for existing site
- Researching and recommending new stock lines where necessary
- Sourcing packaging, consumables, spare parts, cleaning kits and personal protective equipment
Preventing damage to stock through knowledge-sharing, training, maintenance & testing
- Working with the Library of Things team to ensure notes on damage prevention and troubleshooting are shared with borrowers and volunteers
- Coordinating weekly maintenance sessions with volunteer Thing Fixers at Library of Things sites, and training them in basic repairs such as sharpening blades, replacing hand sander pads etc
- Leading regular deep clean and PAT testing of all Things
- Arranging usage and troubleshooting training sessions with key suppliers like Bosch and Karcher
Coordinating repair of major damages
- Coordinating major repairs with suppliers – register new stock for warranties, and manage any warranty claims processes
- Coordinating repair or replacement of Things if beyond lifetime of warranty
Promoting community-led repair
- Where time allows, attending & promoting repair parties to recruit repair enthusiasts and champion Library of Things
- Where time allows, networking with like-minded organisations to find longer-term solutions to damage prevention and/or item repair
Who we’re looking for
We’re looking for a practical all-rounder who wants to get to know our 50 Things inside-out and who likes working with people.
You’ll be working in a fun-loving, supportive culture with a small leadership team and volunteers in multiple local communities.
- A flexible schedule – can respond to last minute repair requests
- Practical and willing to roll sleeves up
- Experienced in DIY, mechanics, engineering or similar
- Likeable, a good sense of humour and a team player
- A proactive problem solver
- Good business sense
- Reliable and punctual
- Self-starting and able to work independently
- A zest for life and willingness to experiment
- Experience of coordinating and/or training others
- A full UK driving license
How to apply
- Short cover letter telling us your availability, relevant experience and motivation
- Short video of you showing us 2 Things you love and telling us a bit about them (optional)
to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday 23rd May at 5pm.
Library of Things is an equal opportunities employer.